Sunday, February 24, 2013

Minor mods to Rostock

Hi All,
Just thought I would post some minor updates that I made to my original Rostock.

Pulley Case Covers: I found that anytime I put anything down on the desk it would seem to be attracted to the moving pulleys and belts at the base of the rostock while I was in the middle of a print job hehe.  So I made up some simple covers for the motor mount at the bottom of each axis.
The stl can be found on thingiverse:

Kossel Effector: I decided to replace the original rostock effector with the newer simpler design from the Kossel. This image shows the original design sitting on the print bed with the new, more simple one from the Kossel already fitted floating just above.
The new effector design is lighter, allows a more unobstructed view print job in progress and allows the effector rods to be attached in a more simple and secure fashion.
If you do use this part for the standard rostock you must make sure that the spacing between the effector rods at this effector end is exactly the same as it is where they on the X,Y and Z axis. The scad file from the kossel will allow you to adjust that dimension if necessary. I just used the standard spacing as the spacers from my Heim joints allows it to fit perfectly.

Herringbone Gears: Finally, just because I was board, I replaced the standard gears on my extruder with herringbone gears. These have less play and seem to be a bit quieter.
I just used the standard parametric herringbone gear openscad file that you can find on thingiverse adjusting the gear ratios for the ones I use on my wades on this Rostock.

Monday, February 11, 2013

Rostock printing real things :-)

Today I actually designed and printed something other than a trinket or a part for a printer. I wanted a better way to adjust the vertical angle of my home theatre projector. The commercial mount has the projector mounting bracket hanging and pivoting from the one point. Unfortunately this poses a problem as the strange mount on my projector means it is slightly back heavy. To add to this I have it mounted on an articulated arm so I can fold it back to the wall when not in use and then swing it out to optimal position when i use.
To make alignment to the screen easier, I used the free creo elements cad package to design an adjustable bracket and then printed out the parts. The images below show the results. It works a treat.
It adds stability to the projector as it is not mounted from two points on the bar and can quickly be adjusted if necessary by turning a thumb wheel to raise or lower it.

This is the design in the Creo Elements cad package.

This is the end result looking from the back of the projector. The bottom nut is a nylock nut that holds the threaded rod and in the top clamp section there is a standard nut in the thumb wheel adjuster with some washers top and bottom.

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Rostock more fine tuning 0.15mm layer height

Another big day today.
  •  I added the LCD controller to my Ramps board - as well as being able to monitor or control the printer, I particularly like how this can be used to slow down or speed up the print job as required.
  • Added mmall LED posts to the front axis to light up the print area - These are attached to the lower part of the Front two smoothrods. The carriages never come down that low and they generate nice highlights so you can keep an eye on the print job. 
  • Switched to KisSlicer for slicing the stl files - This seems to make much nicer prints, it is much better at handling shallow curves and seems to generate much more logical pathing. its also allows you to print the outer most perimeter slowly and then all the other very fast.
  • Started printing at 0.15mm layer height  - and this really starts to allow details to show in the models. Really happy with these results. The .4mm layer height I used to print at seems so far removed from what I am getting now. It is still not perfect as I am still learning how to tweak KisSlicer.
The image on the left shows the new LCD controller and the print area lighting. The other shows the owl from the other day (printed at 0.2mm) and now the the ape and the funny looking gargoyle at 0.15mm.